Friday, June 19, 2009

End of the e-criminal.


I am admittedly not the most tech-savvy bloke in the world. The closest act to piracy that I've commited was the borrowing of a neighbours dinghy without their knowing one afternoon a few summers ago.

And after the $2.35 million(AUD) fine handed out by an American federal jury this week for the illegal downloading of music($99,230 per song) I think I'll keep my criminal behaviour within the constraints Port Phillip Bay.

Those poor fellows a couple of months ago convicted for facilitating the breach of copyright laws in the Pirate Bay Trials are due to spend a year behind bars (pending the appeals) and expected to fork out $4.34million(AUD).

It appears a court of law will tend to deliver fairly harsh punishments for e-crimes. It seems that they're getting better all the time at policing the e-laws. Just typing this I am already becoming paranoid about my habitual acquisition of WiFi (I'd go into the MacDonalds if the past didn't suggest that I'm more likely to have a pleasant experience from the comforts of my car in the parking lot with a banana). I hope they don't throw the e-book at me.

That being said I'm now going to head home to watch a copy of 'The Godfather' that the gentleman in Vietnam assured was the genuine article. I didn't meet him myself, but I'm told he seemed like an upstanding citizen and didn't even wear an eyepatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment