Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Worth a punt?


Oz Lotto is still looking for a winner after no-one claimed the highest first-division prize pool offered in the history of the national lottery game. By the time of the draw last night the advertised jackpot of $50 million had risen to $59,295,155 due to strong sales. Australian's wasted $87 million attempting to secure the prize. With a single game costing only $1.10, it wouldn't have been a bad return for the one in forty five million chance of winning. Tattersalls reported that the Tuesday night draw attracted 79 million entries.

I detest gambling. I see it as just another of the many vices that people use to fulfill their bleak and otherwise futile existances. I would hope that the day that I actually have disposable income that I would find more charitable or altuistic means to spend it. The idea of somebody handing me the golden ticket that would provide me with $60 million horrifies me. What would I do with that much money? Besides have a breakdown that would result in me retreating to the wilderness and preforming a self-lobotomy next to the warmth of a polymer banknote fueled bonfire. I really don't see the benefit of these lottery draws with all the social inequality and wealth distributions that exist on this planet.

There is no doubt the lottery officials will already be discussing how much money will should guaranteed to ensure a record jackpot for next week and record sales to accompany it. I suggest that you take your $1.10 and stick it where the sun don't shine. It's just as likely to make you happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment